Dating plastichrome postcards
Hillside Home School II, Circa 1906 (1902 - S.069). Hand Written on face: "Dear friend, Since we won a base ball game & day at Spring Green thought Id let you know. The gymnasium/theatre was on the left, two floors of classrooms and offices in the center, and a three story assembly hall on the right. The authentic Dutch windmill stands five stories tall, and was considered one of only a few authentic Dutch windmills in the country. The printing of this card utilizes four inks, but different printing processes. The cyan (light blue), magenta and yellow use a Fine Arts Building Circa 1907-08.
Research indicated that divided backs were finally permitted on March 1, 1907.) 5.4 x 3.5. (Plate X, Ausgefhrte Bauten.) The building was constructed of light rose colored sandstone, heavy oak beams and red roof tiles. George Fabyan Villa Windmill Circa 1907 (1907 - S.129). The remodel left little trace of the existing home. The windmill was built in the 1850s and was located in York Center, now part of Lombard Illinois. Fabyan purchased it in 1914 and moved it to his estate and fully refurbished it. Old Dutch Wind Mill at York Centre, East of Myers Road Station, Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway." Undivided back, post marked Apr 17 1907.
In this park will also be located the magnificent Fields Museum." Bottom Left: " Womens World Largest Circulation in the World - greatest reading value in the World.
Grant Park at the present is in course of construction, but when completed will be one of the finest parks and pleasure grounds ion the world.
They published post cards in tinted Collotype in Germany.
K&K published post cards during the 1880s through 1906.
Dexter began Dexter Press, a one-man shop in Pearl River, New York, in 1920. As the All Souls Church outgrew their facility, Reverend Jones wanted a facility that could meet the needs of the community as well as the Church. A perspective view of the first design for "The Lincoln Center" was published in The Architectural Review, June 1900, Spencer, p.72.
I believe this to be an early four color collotype printing process. Brownes Bookstore (1907 - S.141), Thurber Art Galleries (1909 - S.154) and Mori Oriental Art Studio (1914 - S. Designed for Frank Lloyd Wright uncle, Reverend Jenkin Lloyd Jones.
See our Wright Study of Browne's Bookstore Grave of John Keats, Circa 1905. Hand written or printed in a dark gray ink, "Keats." Verso: "Post Card. Place One-Cent Stamp Here (within a box, dotted lines)." Undivided back. This is the original property where the Hotel Geneva was built in 1911-12. Frank Lloyd Wright designed three projects in the Fine Arts Building. See our Wright Study of Browne's Bookstore Abraham Lincoln Center Circa 1906 (1903 - S.095). Chicago." Hand written of face: "194 Lakewood Blvd. The Whiting House, built in the early 1870s was destroyed by fire in 1894. The address had to be written on the right side of the back of the postcard while the left... There are no awnings on the Annex Building to the right in 1901, they are visible in 1903-4. The printing is not clear enough to be able to read the reader board above the door on the left. History 1890 1901 1902 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1912 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1933 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1979 1980 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1989 1990 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Bottom1907 - Divided Back: Postcards with a divided back were finally permitted on March 1, 1907. Cook Company was sold to the General Aniline & Film (GAF) Corporation. During that same time period, the Burney brothers, located in Aurora, Missouri, were quickly becoming one of the largest road map printers in the country. Bob (Robert Teeple) Petley was born on November 11, 1912, in Akron, Ohio and passed away on July 7, 2006. A revised design for the "Abraham Lincoln Center," Frank Lloyd Wright and Dwight Heald Perkins, Associated Architects, was published in The Chicago Architectural Annual, 1902. The address had to be written on the right side of the back of the postcard while the left side was reserved for writing messages. Cook Company, was founded in 1921 and was one of the two largest postcard publishing companies in Milwaukee, Wisc. They continued to produce postcards into the 1960s. Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. In 1946, with twelve black and white humorous postcards he created, he started his postcard company, Petley Studios, Inc., which would later become the nations largest publisher and distributor of scenic color postcards with dealers in Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas, southwestern Colorado, and eastern California. Jones was still dissatisfied, and Wright resigned as architect. Elements of Wrights original design remained, but the finished project lost many of Wrights ideas.